Thursday, August 24, 2023

Mama Cass and Baby Pomme

Mama Cass is in month four of pregnancy.  I can't quite believe it.  Not going to lie, there has been a lot of transference of my pregnancies and how awful they were and Cass.  Maybe that is why I have been hesitant about writing about it before now.   Cass is nineteen years old and this is her fourth pregnancy and so yep, she is a mature, higher risk pregnancy and I don't want to jinx it.  None of my pregnancies were easy and I lost a daughter at 27 weeks gestation and knowing that can happen to me, I have transferred that awful episode to poor Cass.  However, she is helping me heal and showing me it can be OK.  So her story so far.

Cass


Chicago


We sent her off to the vets on May 10th.  Her ride was sorted out (thank you Kevan). The vet was all ready. The stud knew Chicago was going to have to step up and produce the goods.  We were all set! I had asked my lovely friend Chrissy to communicate to Cass that she would be leaving us for a few days and this was the only way we could impregnate her.  She was immediately anxious when this was communicated to her and asked if I could go with her, I wish darling girl, but this is a journey you have to do on your own.  She knew she was going to have to be super brave in doing this and for the most part managed it!

The day she left she had already come into season, I freaked out, phoning the vet, not sure if that meant she was ovulating and did that mean we had missed the window.  The vet and their staff were amazing at hand holding me through the situation and keeping my nerves on an even keel (just about).  She arrived at Paton & Martin and the vet saw to her the following morning.  She was ovulating and ready to be inseminated.  Chicago does not do live cover and we had already decided that artificial was going to be better for her as she had trauma attached to the previous coverings.  The lovely vet was going to Chicago's stud that day, so picked up the freshly produced goods and brought them back to Cass and inseminated her that night.  They phoned to say it had all been done and hopefully it was successful.  Because Cass is so anxious about being away from home, we had already decided that it would be better for our own vet to do all the after care and had the pregnancy not taken, we would deal with that if it happened.  She was ready to come back to us the following day, but her ride was not ready.  My amazing hauler Kevan rearranged his whole day and picked up Mama Cass and brought her home.  She was so pleased to be back.  She was showing signs of being in season, so of course I freaked out and again my ever so patient vet Maia assured me it was normal and no, she was not loosing any of the goods whilst showing she was in season!!! 

I could see the change immediately.  She was pacing and concentrating.  Literally, pacing the arena, the pasture, she kept looking to me to give her reassurance this was going to be OK.  I am like, Cass, if this is how you are going to behave for the next eleven months, one, it is going to be the longest pregnancy ever and two, you will have no feet left!  Chrissy jumped in to check in with her and was she was far to busy to chat, she was concentrating.  Yep, that mare was concentrating on that pregnancy taking.   After a couple of weeks Cass just dropped into her body and was so peaceful.  It was so beautiful to watch.  Then she started eating, man this mare was packing it away!!!  She kept out of the way of the boys, especially when they were being rambunctious.  Dr Maia came out and did the first ultrasound. I knew she was pregnant, I could feel it, I could see it.  Cass would let me know if she wasn’t.  She was so quiet and content and was cooking that little bean inside of her.  It took some time for Dr Maia to find the little bean (as we were very early, maybe I was slightly impatient….) and Cass is 17.1 hh’s and Maia’s arms are quite short, so digging around inside trying to find a tiny foetus was no mean feat!  Anyway, there was a splodge there and yay, Cass was pregnant! 



Something else that Cass was asking for in those early couple of weeks was to have her belly rubbed, well under her hind legs.  She would lift her leg up for me to rub right underneath and she would want for me to rub her belly.  Cass has always been super protective of her stomach and under her legs, so this was a first.  She would come up to me and position herself and then ask for rubs, then move and pull her hind leg up, so funny to watch, but such a privilege to share. 

Month One Pregnancy (according to University of Guelph Pregnancy Wheel)

Growth

HOW BIG AM I?

  • Size: 0.15 mm – 1.9 cm (0.006 – 0.75 inch)
  • Weight: negligible
  • Size comparison: Pea

Notes: Although so small it’s hard to detect their weight, the tiny cells that become your foal are busy multiplying and organizing themselves this month.

Milestones

WHAT DO I LOOK LIKE?

  • Your foal is currently an embryo and is quite active compared to other species.
  • The embryo enters your mare’s uterus around day 6 and moves around (moving between the uterine horns up to 10-20 times/day) to tell the mare she’s pregnant. The embryo stops moving & settles in place around day 15-17.
  • Vets can usually confirm pregnancy by ultrasound around days 12-14 but may have to search to find the active embryo.
  • Your foal’s basic bodily structures develop by day 23 and your vet can detect their heartbeat by day 24.

Into month two…..I was still freaking out on a daily basis, any tiny little sign that she may come into season, I was having a panic attack.  So, maybe more information that required, but Cass and my cycles had synced up, doubly weird as horses are supposed to be 21 days, but 28 days and she came into season.  So even weirder, Cass showed signs of being in season after her pregnancy the day I would start my cycle.  Literally one tiny sign and then it was over.  This happened for month two and three.  Month four, she was just a bit marish.  Squealing, but I found it so funny that on my cycle date, she would show signs of season and freak me out every single time!!!  Now we are in month four, I am chilling out a bit about the whole situation, but there is a still a little anxiety happening, I a not going to lie!  We had a second ultrasound done (sorry Maia) to check on the heart beat.  Up to 60 days the mare can abort the foetus or it can die, so we wanted to check.  Again, the baby was bouncing around in there like they were in a trampoline park.  Also, baby decided it would be fun to move so you couldn’t see a heart beat, but had to do cross sections through the foetus to find where the heart was.  Anyway, it was there, we kind of think it was beating, but honestly, Cass would let me know.  She would be frantic if she lost the baby or anything was wrong. 



The changes I saw in cases personality over the pregnancy have been wonderful.  I have never asked Cass to participate in the therapy work and quite honestly a year ago, I never thought she would be able to.  However, Cass suddenly started to offer herself up for work.  Generally with women, and specifically anything to do with children, fertility, family.  Not only would she offer herself for the work, but she has become a very powerful healer.  I will post about a retreat we had at the farm, but she ear marked two of the participants to work with and they both had the above theme, not only did she allow them to explore what was going on, but she took their pain, suffering and allowed them to leave lighter.  I have been asked again and again if Cass is OK  working with clients, are they putting too much on her as she is pregnant.  I reassured my clients that she will walk away when she is done and I always work with her in between as well. Offering Masterson to help release what she has taken.  I work this way with all my horses and ensure they are looked after after they have done client sessions.  Also, a very big part of my equine welfare is all my horses have a choice in whether they want to participate or not.  If they are not feeling it, someone else steps in or we do something else.  I never make any of horses work.  They get to choose.

Month Two Pregnancy (according to University of Guelph Pregnancy Wheel)

Growth

HOW BIG AM I?

  • Size: 5 - 7.5 cm (2 – 2.9 inches)
  • Weight: 3 - 5 g (0.1 - 0.2 oz)
  • Size comparison: Caterpillar

Notes: Although still very small, your foal will be recognizable as the fetus of a horse by this month’s end.

Milestones

WHAT DO I LOOK LIKE?

  • Your foal is referred to as a fetus beginning on day 40.
  • They start developing facial features like ears, eyelids and nostrils. The elbow and stifle joints will be identifiable.
  • Your foal becomes active as a fetus, with head nods beginning at day 40 and limb movements beginning by day 46.
  • Your foal’s heartbeat can be clearly detected by day 42, as a distinct and faster beat than your mare’s.

In month three, poor Cass managed to impale her head on a post in the roundpen trying to escape the antics of the boys.  Bloody everywhere, it was not pretty.  Not bad enough she needed stitches, but bad enough for me to freak out.  Luckily my younger daughter was home and she is a first aider for humans, but it transfers sometimes.  She helped to stem the bleed and I cleaned her up, sent pictures to the vet and got instructions. However, due to being pregnant, she couldn’t be on antibiotics and we gave her the minimal of painkillers.  Poor Cass, she was very brave and let me clean her head twice a day and put polysporin on the wound.

Apples started to fall from the trees, Cass has been feeding the baby a lot of apples.  It doesn’t matter how many I pick up, Mama Cass can smell them a mile away.  Cass spends her days now hanging out only with quiet horses and the minis and munching away at hay somewhere.  I haven’t had to rake up in her enclosure for a month or so, as she snuffles it all up!  The other thing that I am feeling so strongly and maybe I will be wrong, as it is 50 / 50, is that Cass is carrying a girl (filly).  I get girl vibes all the time and so Cass’s baby is now nicknamed Pomme.  As I am sure she is going to come out looking like an apple!  I felt like I should give her a name that suits the journey, strength and love that has brought Cass to this stage of her life and now cooking this baby Pomme, a Greek goddess or a star constellation like Cass, but for now, Pomme works. 

Month Three Pregnancy (according to University of Guelph Pregnancy Wheel)

Growth

HOW BIG AM I?

  • Size: 7.5 – 15 cm (2.9 – 5.9 inches)
  • Weight: 60 - 120 g (2.1 - 4.2 oz)
  • Size comparison: Chipmunk

Notes: Measuring the weight of the fetus may help determine the fetus’ age when the breeding date is unknown.

Milestones

WHAT DO I LOOK LIKE?

  • Your foal’s hooves start developing. The sole and frog will be evident.
  • Your foal is very active, moving around in the allantoic sac and changing direction an average of 5 times/hour. Your foal displays neck arching and limb movements and is thought to be practicing the coordination they will need in the real world for nursing, chewing and moving.
  • Your vet may be able to determine whether your foal is a filly or colt beginning at day 60.

In month four she has been even more conscious of protecting her body and now refuses to be the first one out of the stall if there is any chance that one of the geldings could possibly get to her.  We have been putting everyone in at lunchtime due to the heat / smoke / being done with summer for a couple of hours of nap time and she has loved that.  Totally refusing to come out of her stall afterwards.  No idea what she is going to be like as she gets further into her pregnancy!  Cass is actually starting to look like she is pregnant now rather than having a hay belly (or that is what I am telling myself anyway).  She is quiet and wants belly rubs and head scratches. Still has very strong opinions but that is her choice to have those and I am not going to stop it. I do insist on a brush at least once a week though, got to keep looking shiny Mama Cass.

Month Four Pregnancy (according to University of Guelph Pregnancy Wheel)

Growth

HOW BIG AM I?

  • Size: 12.5 -23 cm (4.9 - 9 inches)
  • Weight: 0.9 – 1.3 kg (2 – 2.9 lbs)
  • Size comparison: Kitten

Milestones

WHAT DO I LOOK LIKE?

  • Your foal is growing fine hair on their muzzle, lips, chin and eyelashes.
  • Your foal starts growing larger, and so can not roam around as freely in the allantoic sac. The foal is still active, but the activity is more confined.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment