Sunday, September 19, 2021

Gramma's Birthday Party!!

Gramma, my special girl.  A little history to this awesome horse.  I was looking to expand my herd last year and looked at various rescue sites, as I like to give horses a home that have been surrendered or need a place to live their final years. I am a bit of a sucker like that.  Anyway, Gramma kept coming up on the site of Second Chance Cheekeye Ranch (please check out their site and support if you can).  I kept looking at her, her kind eye, her beautiful big Clydesdale head and just needed to meet her.  So off I went to look at horses with a few in mind and just wanting to meet this old lady.  

None of the horses I had the intention of meeting worked for me. Energy not quite right, herd bound, just not ticking the boxes I wanted.  Henry poked his head up over the fence and my friend told me to take a closer look at him, so I did and ended up buying him (his story will be told another day).  I asked to go and see a horse I knew, who had been given to the ranch in the hope of her finding her forever home and by coincidence Gramma was in the same pasture as her.  I saw her poking her head up, staying in the background, but looking over at us.  My heart melted.  I needed to give this girl her forever home for the rest of her days.  She was a lot older than advertised, but hey ho, I got over it and she came to live with us.  She was closer to 30 than 20 and is a gentle giant.  Do not get me wrong, this girl is so bloody strong willed when she wants to be, but does it with grace. She is Clydesdale cross and reminds me of a gypsy horse.  You know the type that pull the caravan and has a piece of grass hanging out of her mouth and straw hat adorned with flowers perched between her ears.  I just had the image immediately and had she been a lot younger, I may have seen if I could have driven her, however, now knowing her a lot better, I doubt it would have happened, that horse knows her mind and if she is not going to do it, she is not going to do it.  The horse refuses to lunge, you need to lift weights in order to get her to pick up her feet, as she is soooooo stubborn and there is no moving those great big plate feet when they are planted.




So, jumping forward a year, I decided I wanted to throw Gramma a party. A 30th birthday party.  We don't know her exact birthday, but I decided it was going to be this year.  Gramma gives her all to the therapy sessions.  She teaches so much, so subtle, so wise, so powerful.  I wanted her to be centre of attention for a change, to be acknowledged for the grand old dame she is.  She is getting old, she is 30 years old for chuffs sake, so her legs are not working quite as well as they used to.  She has arthritis in both her hind legs and I also think in her knees.  She is not as steady coming down hills now and loves to have a leap about, but it is short lived as there is not as much air in her lungs these days.  She is on various meds to alleviate the pain and her cushings which she also suffers from. She is on a strict diet, so she doesn't have too much weight on her legs and she has blankets at nightime as she really feels the cold. I now bandage her back legs when they get swollen and my lovely friend does Masterson on her to help her release any pain and tension.  It is like acupressure, which you work along the bladder meridian.  She shows my friend where she needs releasing.  It is very sweet.  Please do not think she is in that much pain, that she shouldn't be around anymore.  That is not the case, I will know when her time comes for us to make that decision and it is not yet.  Rest assured, I will honor her when she needs time to take that final sleep.




This year, I started a Pony Club for kids to come and learn about taking care of ponies and also a little equine therapy and horsemanship, so what better audience than little people to throw a birthday party.  We made bunting to hang over the goodie table (thank you to my wonderful daughter Isobel for making all the cakes) and I made a flower crown for Gramma to wear.  We have done animal communication with all my horses, so I have a base of where to start with them.  For the most part, I intuitively get it right, however, with Gramma, I didn't get how much she likes to be with little girls, believes that the fairies look after her and she loves a bucket of dandelions.  So, who am I to argue.  In lieu of a birthday cake, we made up a bucket of fruit and veg for her and my pony club girls and clients went to find dandelions to adorn her fruit bowl.  Gramma very kindly wore her flower crown and we braided her mane and put flowers through them.  I feel that Gramma knew the afternoon was all about her, I think she was grateful.  However, I know this was more about me than her.  I wanted, no, needed to show how much I love this girl and I love to throw a birthday party!!!  So Happy 30th Birthday Gramma, I hope there are many more to come, as quite honestly, you are the best horse ever!!!  





No comments:

Post a Comment